Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Native American Indian Research at Family History Library

So much for finding an application for one of my ancestors that I believe is a Native American Indian.  I confirmed his information using the computers on the 2nd floor of the Library where the books and other research material for Native American Indian research are kept as well as plenty of computers and helpful staff.

To my surprise none of the professional staff could answer my question about finding and viewing an application found on the index for the Dawes Rolls or for the Guion Miller Roll.

I was able to find an index listing for Andrew J Pennington with a application number.  I could print a copy of the page but that was all I could do online.

It turns out that Family History Library accesses the same database that we can from NARA websites.  Once you find a listing for a person you're hoping is your ancestor, you need the application number as well as the complete name.  Nothin else is needed but you must request a copy by submitting an request for the application either by mail or online.  Cost is $20.00.

Bottom line - no luck finding the application at the Library.  I'll submit an application request whenI return home.

I managed to get in a couple of hours of research on other ancestors so the time spent was not a total loss.

I completed my registration for RootsTech 2013 when I returned to hotel.  Tomorrow the conference starts.
Post a Comment